The following is an overview of our licensing system so you can understand how it works and answer questions about how you should set your account up.
- Initial Setup
- Multiple Computers
- Multiple Licenses
- Add and Remove Users
- Add Users
- Remove Users
- Merge Accounts
- When you purchase a subscription, you created a username. That username is automatically given access to the browser. (You can reassign it to any user, but, by default it’s assigned to the username that purchased it.
- Use this username and password to log in to the browser.
- If you purchased multiple licenses, you need to assign the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. license to a different username (either create a new one or assign it to an existing user). You can do that in your Account page.
- Licenses for the browser, Edge and individual extensions must also be assigned to your staff usernames in your account.
- Once you’ve downloaded the browser, you will use that username and password to activate and use the browser.
- You can use your browser on multiple computers, but only one at a time. It is designed this way because so many people work on one computer at home and one at the office, for example.
- However, simultaneous usage is blocked. If you try to share your username with someone else and use it at the same time, you’ll log each other out.
- It is ok to have different people at your company use the same username at different times.
Many companies get Insomniac for their whole team by purchasing a multi-user license. When you do this, please keep in mind the following:
- Each person needs their own unique username. After purchasing your multi-user license package, please go to your account page to assign the licenses.
- If you have Edge or Premium extensions you also need one license per user and must assign the licenses in the same way.
- If two people use the same username at the same time, the browser will log them out.
- As the account admin, you can activate and deactivate users whenever you want. You still keep your licenses, deactivation just restricts a certain user from using it.
- NOTE: Subscriptions are different from licenses. It’s not accurate to say Jack is on monthly but Jill is on annual. The system doesn’t work that way. As the account admin, you simply have a certain number of active licenses and you can assign them to whomever you want. You’re not ‘giving Jill the annual’. You’re just giving her one of your available licenses.
Add and Remove Users
If you have 3 licenses, for example, they are not tied to any one user or person. You can assign the licenses to any username you want, then change the user it’s assigned to as often as you want. Here’s how.
- Go to your account page.
- Enter the username or email of the user you want to add.
- If the user does not exist, you will be asked to create a new user account for them. Each user must have a unique username and email address.
Deactivating a license does NOT cancel the subscription or recurring payment. It only restricts the access of the person it had been assigned to.
If an employee leaves your company or is simply not working one day, you may wish to deactivate their license and assign to someone else. To do that:
- Go to your account page.
- Find the user you want to deactivate in your license list.
- Click the ‘Remove User’ button.
“Remove User” does not delete the users account. It just revokes that users access to your licenses. You can add that user back at any time.
When you remove a user from your account, your number of available licenses will increase by 1 and you can re-assign it to anyone you want. You can do this as often as you would like and many companies do so if they have employees that rotate from day-to-day.
Over the years people from the same company have created their own accounts but then realize their licenses and billing would be easier to manage if all of their licenses were under the same master admin account.
So you can now merge your accounts to manage all browser, Edge and individual extension licenses under the same account.
Please note that you can only move ALL of the subscriptions from an account. You cannot move just some and leave others.
What you need
To do, you’ll need to know the username and password for:
- Your master account (the one that will receive the licenses in the end)
- The child account (the one that is giving the licenses to the master account).
Once you’ve moved the licenses they will all be managed and billed under the master account. The child account will still exist, can still make future purchases and still have licenses assigned TO it, but it will not its own licenses to assign anymore.
Merging the Accounts:
- Go to your Account page.
- Log in with the username and password for the user you want to be your Master Account.
- Click ‘View Edit Subscriptions‘
- Scroll down to the bottom where you’ll see a form to migrate subscriptions from another account.
- Fill in the username and password of the child account that you want to pull in the licenses from.
- Confirm the merge. We recommend that after merging, you go back to your subscriptions page to make sure you have the correct number of licenses and that each subscription is using the billing method you want it to use.
You have to be logged in.